Backyard landscaping design includes a set of steps and processes. It means that landscaping a place is not an easy feat. It involves time, planning, a lot of efforts, and funds too. But the end result will be worth your efforts and every penny spent.
Let us take a look at what are the landscape design process steps.
1. Understanding the Site
Before beginning with landscape designing, it is essential that you analyze and understand your site. It comprises:
- Studying the soil type and conditions.
- Taking into account the environmental changes in the region.
- Determining the vegetation according to the soil type, regional climate, and topography.
- Checking the drainage system to ensure that it won’t affect your landscape designing.
- Looking for areas which do not support plant growth (make a note of those to avoid in future).
2. Backyard Design Process
The design process is used to establish the aesthetics of your backyard. It involves the following steps:
- Set your budget
It is always wise to set up a budget beforehand. It will stop you from overspending and develop a plan accordingly.
- Determining what you want in your backyard
A simple garden, a backyard kitchen with bar, backyard swimming pool, a pergola, are a few of the landscaping ideas for backyard which you could consider.
- Create a sketch and functional diagrams
It is an easy and practical way to plan your further course of action for backyard landscaping. Pictorial representation helps to develop adequate plans.
- Drawing up a plan of action
After completing the previous steps, you can proceed with planning your backyard landscaping.
3. Who will use the backyard?
It will impact your landscape designing process immensely. It is because you need to consider the users while landscaping your backyard. For instance, if you have kids, you could have a separate play area for them, or if you have a pet, say a dog, you could have a fenced region. You need to ask yourself the following questions:
- How do I want to use my backyard?
- How do I want my backyard to look?
- Will I be getting any pets (if you don’t have one now)?
- How much time, effort, and money can I afford to spend on the maintenance of my backyard?
The answers to these questions will help you with backyard landscaping.
4. Base your Backyard Design Ideas on a Theme
If you know the landscaping basics, you must also know that setting a theme will help you achieve the desired outlook. Some of the commonly used ones are:
- Geometric designs including squares, circles, etc.
- Keeping it natural, meaning irregular designs.
- Making use of linear designs.
- Adding more dimension to space.
As far as the style is concerned, you could have the following:
- A traditional backyard garden
- Adding a modern touch
- Opting for specific styles like French, American, etc.
No matter what you choose for your backyard, remember that it must complement the architecture of your house.
5. Organize the Space in your Backyard
Merely having plants and other elements in your backyard is not enough. You must design the place to create spaces and link them too. You could base this on the purpose of landscaping your backyard. For instance, you could have an outdoor kitchen with a pool in case you want to entertain your guests, or look for pool designs to take a dip whenever you want to, or create a comfortable seating arrangement for relaxing in the evenings, and so on.
6. Consider the Plants & their Functions
From the perspective of backyard landscape designs, plants have three purposes:
- Ornamentals because they can be used to improve the aesthetics of your place.
- Utilitarian as they can transform the surroundings by modifying humidity, temperature, and light. You could decide if you want plants which bear fruits, vegetables, or flowers.
- Structural as you can use them to define the space and organize the area.
Further, you should also select the type according to the regional climate and soil type. Decide whether you want flowering plants and shrubs, trees, etc.
7. Make Use of Highlights
Create focal points. You could use lights, plants, unique features, garden ornamentals, etc., to highlight the focal points for more emphasis. It will enhance the beauty of the space.
8. Pay Attention to Details
It is a vital aspect of backyard landscaping. Focus on color schemes, the scent of plants, lighting and shadows in your backyard, and so on. It will add to the appearance of the place.
9. Do Not Forget Future Considerations
You must take time into account while deciding backyard landscape designs. Ask yourself:
How do you want your backyard to look ten years down the line?
Plan your backyard landscaping accordingly.
Further, while planting trees, keep in mind that they can become huge after growing to their full potential. So plan the spaces suitably.
10. Consider your Environment
While you are at it, consider the environment and take up the eco-friendly ways to design your backyard. Use environment-friendly materials and avoid using toxic substances.
At Land-Con, we have landscaping experts to guide you through backyard landscaping designs. We will help you build an amazing backyard as per your specifications. If you have any queries regarding backyard landscaping, please get in touch with us.
You might also want to check our related posts: