A beautiful and well-maintained backyard landscape design will include both hardscape and softscape elements. While both concepts are opposite, a delicate balance between the two can help you create harmony and cohesiveness. However, before you go ahead and start with your dream landscape design, it is critical to understand what works well for your space. Read this quick guide to learn the distinction between the two concepts.
Hardscapes are the heavier and inanimate objects in your yard. They are practical additions that help in enhancing the functionality of your outdoors.
Common Characteristics of Hardscape Elements Include:
- They are solid and unchanging. Hardscapes are often man-made structures that comprise hard materials, such as concrete, natural stone, gravel, and more.
- These elements will impact the efficiency, flow, and look of the landscape design.
- Hardscape elements are multi-functional. You can use them for a variety of purposes. Some examples of hardscapes include outdoor kitchens, decks, driveways, retaining walls, patios, and more.
While you may have heard landscapers speaking about hardscapes, “softscapes” is a term that is used less frequently. Softscapes comprise the animate and horticulture elements in your backyard landscape design that add aesthetic appeal and functionality to your yard.
Common Characteristics of Softscape Elements Include:
- Softscapes are all the horticultural components in your yard. These can include plants, perennials, annuals, ground covers, seasonal plantings, and more.
- They change and evolve continuously. Their growth depends on the climate, soil quality, and other environmental elements.
- Since plants come in all sorts of colors, textures, and sizes, you can inject a great variety to make your landscape design aesthetically pleasing.
How Can You Balance Both the Elements in Your Yard?
With smart planning and assistance from a leading landscaping company in Toronto, you can incorporate both areas into your yard. Whether you have a small space or an extravagant yard, a perfect balance between the both can help you achieve your dream space.
For instance, many homeowners in drought-affected areas use rock gardens with a bed of drought-tolerant plants unique and easy to maintain. Conversely, outdoor landscape lighting with fuss-free shrubs is ideal for modern homeowners.
Here are some tips to help you strike a balance between Hardscape and Softscapes:
- Incorporate Hardscapes First: One of the most common techniques homeowners use to beautify their backyard landscape design is installing a hardscape first and then decorating it with soft elements.
- Don’t go overboard with any one element: Incorporating too many hardscapes can make your space look empty. On the other hand, too many softscapes can make your yard look unkempt and messy. Hence, it is best to avoid excessiveness.
- Determine the purpose of the feature: Before starting, it is best to determine a budget for all the focal features. Think about why you need this hardscape and how much time and money you will need for its maintenance. Flowers and plants also require seasonal replacements. Hence, think about the purpose of the feature and how it can add value to your property.
Let Us Help You Design the Best Landscaping in Toronto!
Land-Con is a leading landscaping company in Toronto that has the expertise and experience to help you design creative and functional spaces that will last for years and meet your unique needs.
Connect with our experts by calling us at 416.504.5263 or dropping us an email at email@example.com to learn more about our services, including outdoor landscape lighting, deck and pergola installation, and more.